Monday, May 13, 2013

Free Falling by Federico Restrepo Review by Jennifer Ortega

This weekend I went to see an art exhibit, play and a cabaret show all done by Latino theater artist. I did not intentionally plan my weekend that way, but as fate would have it, I bumped into my friend Denise who’s husband Federico Restrepo was having a an art opening, and she gave me an invite. I thought I would take my Finnish houseguest to the opening, but they were engulfed by Times Square and I had to ditch them and go about my plans on Friday night. Free Falling by Federico Restrepo exhibit at La Galleria, Was fun and whimsical, interacting sculpture with paintings, it made me yearn for the fruit which was artfully painted and tested my knowledge at which one’s I had ever tasted. The sculptures of wire, nylon and latex put a layer of realism, as it conveyed to me how we and our planet are interconnected and delicately fragile; man, with the bees, who pollenate plants, which bear the fruits we eat. There was a large screen with a shadow puppet on the screen, the image moved constantly and Federico said “ I dance in front of the screen everyday at 3PM and 6PM sharp” I can only image the dance movement and shadow puppet (which looks like the sculpture pieces) but if you show up at designated times you can let me know what you experienced and if flowed with our relationship to nature and the intent of the artist. While, I was the exhibit chatting by the bar (what is an art opening without wine?) I noticed a postcard for the show La Banda de las Recodas by Las Reinas Chulas, Not ever hearing about the group, I asked about them and I was told they were a lesbian cabaret group from Mexico City. Well, then I had to go and support the Latino cultural cause; I made my plan to see the on Sunday night. Free Falling by Federico Restrepo La Galleria 6 East 1st Street, between Bowery and 2nd Avenue. New York, NY 10003 Gallery Hours: Wednesday through Sunday from 1 to 7:30pm. More at: lamama.org/lagalleria

No comments:

Post a Comment