Sunday, May 5, 2013

Taco Review Snack Dragon Taco Shack

SNACK Dragon TACO Shack I walked up to this taco hut starving and excited to eat some comfort food. I had just been told that our wait at Mission Chinese had gone from an hour to an hour and a half to two hours. I scolded the host and said you didn’t say that when I walked in here at 7PM! I invested my time waiting and I was determined to eat at the Mission, but to hold off my hunger and balance out my low sugar, so I skipped over to the SNACK DRAGON TACO SHACK. I looked at the menu, the typical taco fair of carne asada, pollo verde, chorizo, grilled sole and quinoa pilaf (for vegetarians). I watched the taco maker assemble a couple of pollo verde tacos and liked his well-trained taco making technique, so I ordered myself a quinoa pilaf (not your typical taco fare, but anything can go into a vegetarian taco). As I stood there watching the taco maker put out orders of tacos, he took out a stack of blue tortillas. I asked him where did they get the blue tortillas? He answered “a purveyor.” I asked him if I could see the plastic package to see the brand, but he quickly threw it away. This is when I noticed the taco maker was a hipster. He then said to me “ I think the tortillas are especially made for us.” I knew this was a whole bunch of crap because I’ve been eating blue, red, white and yellow tortillas as long as I’ve been able to chew, and unless you got your mama, or a Mexican lady making masa, rolling out the dough and standing if front of fired up comal, no tortilla in a package is made especially for you. It’s made in a molina where they make thousands of tortillas in a day. It was my taco time and as he assembled my taco I had to ask for no cheese or crema, but a professional taco hut would have asked you how do take your taco. Not all taco eaters want there taco served the same way, as in hold the chile, no cheese, extra beans, more meat, no onions, kind of service. He put my blue tortilla on the plate, and served my vegetarian option. As I took my first bite my taco crumbled, and my tortilla was COLD. I wouldn’t have minded if it was hard shell taco, but it was a soft blue corn tortilla, which is supposed to be served hot. I told the taco maker my tortilla was cold and he said “oh, it is; I heated separately just for you” Did I miss something? Didn’t I just see you put a bunch of tortillas in a package into the giant tortilla holder, had I missed the Comal ritual, so I know you were probably goanna nuke the tortillas in a mircowave like some modern Mexicans do (which is lazy and unacceptable), but you didn’t even do that you serve me my manna COLD. Being the Mexican piggy that I am, I ate my taco and but was despaired when my tortilla cracked, split and broke. When I complained you were kind enough to make me another taco at no charge, but you it was too much for you to heat and serve a hot tortilla; This my dear hipster taco maker only encouraged me to begin my blog, because as my husband’s grandma always said, “one must not encourage bad taste” So, as not to encourage bad taste, I have to say Snack Dragon Taco Shack could be all the things you want, when you’re ten sheets into the wind, but if you have a palate for good tacos, this place is no different from the chain of Happy Taco Grill run by a some Asian folks from China. Save yourself and the four to six bucks for and don’t eat a bad taco.

No comments:

Post a Comment